Sunday, May 6, 2012

Biometrics and Combo Cards

My biometrics were taken back in early April, about a month ago now, and it was a relatively painless process. I filled out a form and waited for a little while then had someone roll my fingertips over a scanner a few dozen times, I assume to get perfect prints, then take my photo and let me go. I took the subway and commuter train back from Boston to get home from the appointment. I only got slightly lost - went one stop too many and had to back-track - but hubby picked me up at the station and now I feel like I could take the train again. I was pretty hesitant about it at first and so concerned that I would get lost but it's pretty well marked and there were station staff around for when I did get lost.

As I said, it's been about a month since the biometrics appointment and I received my Combo card in the mail yesterday. For those of you not going through the US immigration process; a Combo card is a combined Advanced Parole and Employment Authorisation Document (EAD) which basically means that I am now allowed to travel outside of the US without abandoning my Adjustment of Status (immigration) application and I am legally allowed to work for pay in the US. The combo card is valid for 1 year but I should have my green card by that time so I'm not concerned about that. Besides, I can renew it if my case is still in processing after a year.

So now the problem of getting a job. I want to work in IT. I know I'll have to start low on the ladder, as I only have a diploma and zero paid IT experience, but I'm not even sure I can get on that ladder here without 2-3 years IT experience and local references. I can't work food service because of my sensitive skin which causes excruciating eczema and contact dermatitis on my hands if they get wet too much (even wearing gloves my hands sweat) or come into contact with allergens such as cleaning liquids and essential oils (like orange oil which is in a lot of cleaners). I also can't really work retail because I can't stand for long periods without experiencing back and foot pain. If I'm cooking at home for more than an hour I get pain so I doubt an employer would put up with that. That leaves low-level desk jobs like data entry, call centre operator and receptionist. I really want to run a mile from those jobs but work is work, right?

The other thing to consider work jobs is the commute time. Living in Wellington city it wasn't really possible to have more an a 1 hour commute because I never lived that far away from the CBD even by bus. Now it's 2 or more hours one way from here to the closest major city - Boston - depending on the traffic. The closest job openings that I am finding are 20 miles away and I'm not even sure they're on the train route. I can't drive a car, I never learnt and don't have a license for it here or in NZ, and I doubt hubby would be up to driving that far and back twice per day and especially not if I have a morning start. But these are all puzzle pieces that will come together if I just keep trying to make them fit, I guess!

Wish me luck, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment